On Sunday evening, we had the pleasure of hosting Dr. Gisela Kreglinger, who holds a PhD in historical theology from the University of St. Andrews, at Denver Institute for Faith & Work. She spoke on her delightful, powerful book The Spirituality of Wine (Eerdmans, 2016).
Here are nine quotes from the event (also shared on on my Twitter feed ) that gave me new appreciation for God’s world and his good gifts – including the gift of wine (especially Pinot Noir!)
1. “The reason why wine is compared to the kingdom of God is because it’s vast and beautiful.”
2. “Exploring the spirituality of wine is a way to develop a theology for all of life – and a theology of joy.”
3. “Thirst for perfection is the death of joy.” - Alexander Schmemann
4. “Reconnecting with ‘place’ – including where our food and drink come from – is a gift of God.”
5. “Attention, taken to it’s highest degree, is the same thing as prayer.” - Simone Weil
6. “Holy intoxication can help us relax, be vulnerable, and take off our masks. Not alcohol abuse but communal feasting.”
7. “I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom." - Matthew 26:29
8. “Stop and smell, simply because it’s beautiful. [Referring to wine.] It’s God’s creation.”
9. “Wine is God’s way of kissing humanity.”
If you're as intrigued by the subject as we are, my colleague Joanna Meyer also wrote a great article on the book before the event.
Jeff Haanen is a writer and entrepreneur. He founded Denver Institute for Faith & Work, a community of conveners, teachers and learners offering experiences and educational resources on the gospel, work, and community renewal. He is the author of An Uncommon Guide to Retirement: Finding God’s Purpose for the Next Season of Life and an upcoming two-book series on spiritual formation, vocation, and the working class for Intervarsity Press. He lives with his wife and four daughters in Denver and attends Wellspring Church in Englewood, Colorado.